- 64% of all US adults use Facebook
- 30% of US adults consume news on Facebook
- Only a minority of Facebook news consumers say they prefer news that shares their point of view.
- Roughly half of Facebook news consumers report regularly getting news on six or more different topics.
- About a third of Facebook news consumers have news organizations or individual journalists in their feeds.
Facebook is changing its algorithms to promote more ‘quality news’ in people’s news feeds. From the Facebook Newsroom (News Feed FYI: Helping You Find More News to Talk About):
People use Facebook to share and connect, including staying current on the latest news, whether it’s about their favorite celebrity or what’s happening in the world. We’ve noticed that people enjoy seeing articles on Facebook, and so we’re now paying closer attention to what makes for high quality content, and how often articles are clicked on from News Feed on mobile. What this means is that you may start to notice links to articles a little more often (particularly on mobile).
10 Lessons from the BBC
14 Tips for Journalists on Facebook (Mediashift)
Jersey Shore Hurricane News and about the site: Journalists of the Jersey Shore: How a novice reporter built a news network from scratch, Nieman Journalism Lab
Christiane Amanpour on Facebook
Sarah Kliff on Facebook
Facebook + Journalists